Homeless individuals and families in the United States can receive housing assistance from community service organizations through grant monies received from the federal government. Government-funded grant programs are designed to assist shelter facilities with operating costs and help individuals, families and veterans transition into stable housing. Many of these programs also provide funding for needed supportive services as people transition into stable housing.

Continuum of Care

The Continuum of Care comprises three federally-funded grant programs designed to address the issues surrounding homelessness in a step-by-step manner, according to the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development. Each program provides assistance to people transitioning from homeless shelters to independent living programs, some of which include group homes, single room boarding and apartment or housing accommodations. Program services provide individuals with whatever financial, social or medical assistance is needed to help them get back on their feet. Nonprofit organizations, as well as state and local government agencies can apply for Continuum of Care grant funding.

Emergency Shelter Grants Program

Through the Emergency Shelter Grants Program, the federal government offers grant assistance to state and local governments and community nonprofit organizations to build and maintain shelters for the homeless population. Program grants also go towards preventing homelessness for families facing eviction or foreclosure proceedings. According to the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, organizations looking to remodel or rehabilitate a building for use as a shelter can also apply for grant assistance through the Emergency Shelter Grants Program. With the exception of state governments, grant recipients must be able to match 100 percent of the grant monies received in order to qualify for assistance.

Transitional Housing Assistance Program

Individuals and families affected by domestic abuse, sexual assault or stalking can receive transitional housing assistance through grant monies provided through the Transitional Housing Assistance Program. These grants are offered to state and local governments and distributed to local community organizations, according to Federal Grants Wire, a grant resource website. Grant monies go towards the operating costs involved with maintaining existing or newly developed shelter facilities Transitional housing assistance includes supportive services such as counseling, employment assistance, child care and financial help with rental costs and security deposits.

Grant for Homeless Veterans Program

Homeless shelters designated as homeless veteran service providers can receive federal grant funding through the Grants for Homeless Veterans Program. According to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, eligible shelter facilities must provide supportive services in the form of counseling, case management, crisis intervention and employment assistance. Grant monies cover 24-month stays within a shelter and help with transitioning veterans into stable housing accommodations. Eligible grant applicants include Veterans Administration facilities and nonprofit community agencies. Grant award monies cover up to 65 percent of the cost for the construction or renovation of buildings used as shelter facilities for veterans.