U.S. government programs sponsor grants for municipalities to fund community, economic development and recreational projects. Grants are used for construction and renovation projects as well as public infrastructure improvements. Funds are also used to purchase land and equipment. These grants are not required to be repaid by the recipients.

Outdoor Recreational Program

The National Park Service provides grants to municipalities through the Outdoor Recreational program. Cities and other grant recipients use these funds to plan and develop outdoor recreational facilities that are used by the general public. Some of the approved projects include inner city parks, tennis courts, outdoor swimming pools, picnic areas, campgrounds and biking trails. Funds from this program are also used to build public facilities such as water supply facilities, bathrooms and roads. Along with municipalities, state and tribal government agencies and park districts are eligible to apply for these grants.

Recreation Programs National Park Service Department of the Interior 1849 C St. NW Washington, DC 20240 202-354-6900 nps.gov

Public Works and Economic Development

Municipalities are eligible to apply for grants to improve their public infrastructures to stimulate job growth from the private sector through the Public Works and Economic Development program. Sponsored by the Department of Commerce, grants are used to construct and rehabilitate facilities such as water and sewer systems, roads, business parks, port facilities and make telecommunication and broadband infrastructure improvements. State, local and tribal government agencies, public and private nonprofit organizations and institutions of higher education can also apply for these grants. The grants cover up to 50 percent of approved project costs.

U.S. Economic Development Association 1401 Constitution Avenue NW Room 7019 Washington, District of Columbia 20230 202-482-2785 eda.gov

Community Facilities Grant Program

The Community Facilities Grant program, funded by the Department of Agriculture (USDA), provides grants to municipalities to construct, renovate and repair facilities used for community services, health care, public safety and public service. Funds are also used to purchase equipment for facility operations. Other eligible applicants include counties, cities, towns, districts and tribal government agencies as well as nonprofit organizations. Up to 75 percent of the grants can be used to cover the costs of the approved projects. These grants are open to communities with fewer than 20,000 residents.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014 South Building 14th St. and Independence Ave. SW Washington, DC 20250 202-720-9619 rurdev.usda.gov