Several programs are available to fund construction and renovation projects of municipal buildings in communities across the United States. Grants are used to acquire real estate, purchase equipment and supplies and cover administrative expenses. These grants do not have to be repaid, but some programs require recipients to pay a percentage of the project costs with funds from outside sources.

State Administered Community Development Block Grant Program

The Department of Housing and Urban Development funds the State Administered Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, which provides grants to communities to develop suitable living conditions and expand economic development. Grants are used for land acquisitions, constructing and renovating recreational and public service facilities, streets, private and public buildings and neighborhood centers. Funds are also used to help private and for-profit businesses carry out economic development activities, such as creating jobs. Cities and counties with less than 50,000 and 200,000 residents are eligible to receive grant funds.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Community Facilties Grant Program

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) funds the Community Facilities Grant Program, which provides financial assistance to low-income areas with less than 20,000 residents to develop facilities that are necessary to the community. Grants are used to construct facilities that are used for public safety, public services, community services and health care. Funds are also used to buy equipment that is needed to run the facilities. Grant amounts are formula-based with areas having the lowest income and population levels getting higher financial considerations. Eligible applicants include municipalities, counties, districts, tribal government agencies and non-profit organizations.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014 South Building 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW Washington, DC 20250 202-720-9619

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

Municipal buildings and other structures are able to be retrofitted to withstand high winds, earthquakes and other natural disasters under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. Funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), grants are also used to demolish properties to create open space, elevate properties prone to flooding and support activities to enforce building codes during reconstruction. State, local and tribal government agencies and non-profit organizations are eligible to apply for these grants.

Federal Emergency Management Agency P.O. Box 10055 Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055 800-745-0243