Government grants are available to pay for the costs of renovating, rehabilitating and improving old houses and housing units. Grants can also be used to demolish structures if they no longer can be occupied. These government grants do not have to be repaid. Some grant programs require recipients to acquire funds from outside sources to match a percentage of the award amount.

HOPE VI Revitalization Grants Program

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors the HOPE VI Revitalization program, which provides grants to public housing authorities (PHA) to improve the living conditions of public housing residents. Grants may be use to demolish old housing projects or to rehabilitate and repair those that can be improved. The program was designed to provide housing choices that decrease the concentration of low-income families and to pay for other projects that revitalize the area and build sustainable communities. Only PHAs are eligible to apply for this grant.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 Seventh St. SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Neighborhood Stabilization Program

Neighborhood Stabilization Program, which is funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), provides grants to communities hit hard by abandoned and foreclosed homes. Grants may be used to demolish old homes and residential structures, purchase, rehabilitate and repair residential homes and redevelop vacant properties. Eligible applicants are communities that have a population of more than 50,000 and counties with more than 200,000 residents. At least 25 percent of the grant must be used to purchase and rehabilitate abandoned or foreclosed homes that will be occupied by families whose income doesn’t exceed 50 percent of the area’s median income.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 Seventh St. SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Housing Preservation Grants

The U.S. Department of Agriculture funds housing preservation grants to pay for renovations, repairs and improvements to old houses, housing units and co-ops in rural areas. Grants are open to communities of fewer than 20,000 residents, and recipients must use the funds within a two-year period. Sponsors for this grant include nonprofit organizations and state, local and tribal government agencies. Eligible recipients include very low- or low-income homeowners, landlords, co-op and rental property owners who provide housing units to low-income or very low-income tenants.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014, South Building 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW Washington, D.C. 20250 202-720-9619