There are programs that sponsor grants to cover the costs of constructing apartment buildings. These grants can pay for renovating and rehabilitating existing buildings. The relocation of residents displaced by destroyed apartment buildings can also be paid for by these grants. Programs sponsoring these grants do not require funds to be repaid by recipients.

Housing Preservation Grant Program

Communities that have less than 20,000 residents can receive funding from the Housing Preservation Grant (HPG) program. Sponsored by the Department of Agriculture, these grants are used to construct, renovate and repair homes, housing units, rental properties and co-ops. State, local and tribal government agencies and nonprofit organizations are eligible sponsors of these grants. Applicants that can apply for funds are homeowners, landlords, co-op managers and rental property owners whose property are occupied by very-low or low income families. Grants must be used by recipients within two years.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014 South Building 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW Washington, DC 20250 202-720-9619

Main Street Grants

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors the Main Street grant program. Grants from this program are used to convert unused office buildings into affordable rental housing units. Funds are also used to renovate buildings in the downtown districts of eligible areas to keep its historical character. Areas with less than 100 public housing units and 50,000 residents are eligible to apply. Grants cannot be used to renovate or repair housing units that are habitable.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

HOPE VI Program

The HOPE VI program is sponsored by HUD. This program provides grants to help public housing authorities (PHAs) revitalize areas of public housing. Grants can be used to acquire land for off-site construction, demolish severely distressed public housing units and renovate and repair existing units. Funds can also pay for relocation costs of residents due to revitalization efforts. . PHA’s and tribal PHA’s are eligible to apply for these grants.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112