How to Get a Change of Address Form for Free


You can obtain a change of address form from the United States Postal Service at the post office, by mail or online. These methods are free. USPS only charges you if you submit a change of address request online.

Local Post Office

Visit your local post office and ask for PS Form 3575, Official Mail Forwarding Change of Address Order. Some post offices keep these forms behind the counter, while others make them readily available in the lobby, usually by placing them beside other forms and postal supplies. You can find a post office by searching locations on the U.S. Postal Service's website.

By Mail

Call (800) ASK-USPS and ask the USPS customer service representative to mail PS Form 3575 to you.

Print Form

Visit USPS' Official Change of Address website. Click on the "Continue" button at the bottom of the page. Provide your change of address details, including forwarding start date and new mailing address. When done, you will be taken to the Identity Verification page. Click "Print and Mail" button to print a copy of your completed Change of Address form. With this method, you are not changing your address online. You are only printing the form. To submit the form to USPS, additional steps are necessary.

Submitting Form

Hand deliver your completed change of address form to the post office that services your old address. You can also mail the form to this post office or give it to your mail carrier to deliver for you. Another option is to change your address online. However, USPS charges a $1.05 verification fee to do so, whereas the other submission methods are free.

Processing and Delivery Times

The USPS will stop delivering mail to your old address on your forwarding start date. You'll begin receiving mail at your new address within seven to 10 days of this date. The post office typically forwards first class and priority mail and packages for 12 months.


About the Author

Based on the West Coast, Mary Jane Freeman has been writing professionally since 1994, specializing in the topics of business and law. Freeman's work has appeared in a variety of publications, including LegalZoom, Essence, Reuters and Chicago Sun-Times. Freeman holds a Master of Science in public policy and management and Juris Doctor. Freeman is self-employed and works as a policy analyst and legal consultant.