Home Depot works with local schools, churches and nonprofit entities to help build better communities, literally. While businesses are not eligible for donations, business leaders in the community can help local nonprofits complete grant applications and volunteer their time and resources to help complete projects. Home Depot offers two grant programs and one donation-matching program to non profit entities.
Community Impact Grants
Organizations meeting the Internal Revenue Service 501(c) tax-exempt status are eligible for Community Impact Grants. Grants of up to $5,000 are available and awarded as Home Depot gift cards. These cards can then be used to purchase necessary tools, materials and services offered at Home Depot. Grants must be used within six months from the award date.
Projects must be completed with volunteers. This is a great opportunity for a business to participate in the community. For example, a school with a parent-volunteer labor force that needs supplies and tools for a new playground apparatus is eligible. A local business can also support by coordinating a staff volunteer day.
There is a lot of competition for these grants. Annual funds usually run out before year-end. Apply at the Home Depot corporate website.
Veteran Housing Grants
The Home Depot Foundations offers grants between $100,000 and $500,000 for eligible organizations for building or rehabilitating transitional housing for veterans. Grants are not available for single-family homes. Organizations must provide an IRS letter of good standing for the organization's 501(c)(3). Because of the size of the grant, expect not only a lot of competition but also a high-level vetting process of applicants to make sure eligibility parameters are met.
Organizations must have been in operation for 15 years or more and provide auditable budgets and financial statements as part of the application. This program has three application cycles annually with three different awards. The Home Depot grant information page has an eligibility quiz for organizations to determine eligibility.
Matching Gift Program
The Matching Gift Program is designed to support charitable contributions from Home Depot employees. Eligible associates who donate funds ranging from $25 to $3,000 and who sign up for the program receive a dollar-for-dollar match from Home Depot. If an employee donates $100 per month for a year, Home Depot matches $1,200 to the recipient organization.
The annual cap is $3,000 for both full-time and part-time employees enrolled in the program. Seasonal employees are not eligible for the program.
Employees must register gifts online or by calling 888-628-2442. Home Depot verifies donations given by associates before matching the funds, so be certain to have complete non profit information including name, address, phone and tax identification number.
The Home Depot Building Healthy Communities Grant Program no longer exists. Seek eligibility for donations through other Home Depot programs.
- Home Depot: Veteran Housing Grants
- Home Depot: Community Impact Grants
- The Home Depot Foundation
- The Home Depot Inc. "Built From All The Right Materials," Accessed Jun. 6, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "The Home is Where Our Story Begins," Accessed Jun. 6, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended February 2, 2020," Page 22. Accessed Jun. 6, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "THE HOME DEPOT AGREES TO PURCHASE COMPACT POWER EQUIPMENT, INC.," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- KHL. "A landscaping play: CPEC's Roger Braswell explains the Home Depot rental contract.," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "THE HOME DEPOT ACQUIRES THE COMPANY STORE, BROADENING CAPABILITIES IN HOME TEXTILE CATEGORIES," Accessed Jun. 6, 2020.
- The Company Store. "About The Company Store®," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "THE HOME DEPOT COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF INTERLINE BRANDS, INC.," Accessed Jun. 6, 2020.
- Interline Brands Inc. "Amendment No. 4 to Form S-1," Page 31. Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "THE HOME DEPOT ACQUIRES BLINDS.COM," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- Blinds.com. "Our History," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- The Home Depot Inc. "THE HOME DEPOT ACQUIRES REDBEACON," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- Home Depot Pro Referral. "About Us," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
- TechCrunch. "Home Depot Acquires Home Services Marketplace Redbeacon," Accessed Jun. 7, 2020.
With more than 15 years of professional writing experience, Kimberlee finds it fun to take technical mumbo-jumbo and make it fun! Her first career was in financial services and insurance.