There are grants available to finance construction and renovation projects of new and existing residential and non-residential buildings around the United States. Funds can also be used for land acquisition and to pay for administrative costs and labor. These building grants do not have to be repaid. Recipients can be required by some grant programs to pay a percentage of the project costs with outside funding.

Self-Help Homeownership Program

SHOP, or the Self-Help Homeownership Program, provides grants to acquire land and construct or renovate homes for low income home buyers. The grant program requires homeowners to volunteer physical labor, or "sweat equity," during the construction phase of their homes. The maximum amount of approved projects is $15,000. Up to 20 percent of the grant can be allocated for administrative costs. Regional and national non-profit organizations that have experience with SHOP can apply for these grants.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

HOPE VI Revitalization

Another grant program sponsored by HUD is the HOPE VI Revitalization. Grants are given to public housing authorities (PHAs) to revitalize areas that are concentrated with public housing units. Funds are used to demolish and replace old, uninhabitable buildings and construct new units. Grants can also be used to renovate existing ones and purchase land for off-site construction. PHAs and tribal housing agencies can apply for these grants. Residents who are displaced by the removal of housing units can receive relocation assistance from community programs supported by this grant.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grants

The Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grants program funds grants that are used to build and/or renovate housing units that will be occupied by seasonal farm workers. Funds can also pay for the construction of facilities such as day care centers, infirmaries and laundromats for workers to use. Eligible applicants include non-profit corporations of farm workers, public and private non-profit organizations and state, local and tribal government agencies. Housing units can only be occupied by farm workers who are U.S. citizens and make a large percentage of their income from farming. At least 10 percent of the project costs must be paid for by funding from other sources.

Multi-Family Housing Processing Division Rural Housing Service Department of Agriculture Washington, DC 20250 202-720-1604