A group home can be a daycare facility for children, for the elderly or any other other kind of care home. Other less common examples are homes for challenged teens or mentally ill adults. Starting a group home is a rewarding enterprise that gives you a profit while allowing you to help people in need.

Initial Decisions

Decide which kind of group home you would like to have in Kansas. Consider all of the options already available and the sectors of Kansas society that need the most help. You can choose to have group homes for troubled teens, impregnated teens, runaways, homeless youths, adults with mental illness or children who do not have parents or whose parents cannot take care of them either permanently or for a period of time.


Choose the programs your group home is going to offer. Conceptualize programs and services that would help your clients thrive and improve their daily lives.


Decide on the exact location of your group home. Consider details like local crime levels and proximity to prospective clients. For example, if you wish to have an elderly group home, you should choose a location close to areas of Kansas with heavy populations of elderly people. Also, consider the effect the environment may have on your clients.


Decide on the number of occupants you’d like to have in your group home. This varies according to available space, your number of employees, services you are going to offer and the needs of your clients.


Make sure that you know the type of employees and the manpower you need to operate your group home. For example, if you decide to have a group home for troubled teens, you may need employees with experience dealing with teenagers in trouble. You may also need a psychologist, social workers and employees with experience relating to drug addicts.


Obtain a group home license from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. According to Kansas.gov, the application for Foster Home Shelter License is $10. In addition, the department may have its employees make occasional visits to your group home to ensure that you are complying with all specific policies.


Research grants that would match your choice of business. As of 2008, Grants.gov reported that a total of $12 million was available for distribution to states, counties and city governments. The institutions receiving the grants should use them to help, build or support maternity group homes for runaway and homeless youth. The State of Kansas may have some options available to you, as well as the federal government and your local government.