Moneygram is one of the largest payment transfer companies in the world. With online and in-person options, it's easy to send or receive money just about anywhere around the globe. But when you send money, being able to track that payment provides a sense of security that it will arrive safely.
Sending Money Online
In order to send money using MoneyGram, simply go their website and create an account. Then you select a receiver, enter their details, and input the amount of money you wish to send them. You can send up to $6,000 per online transfer in most countries, and up to $6,000 every 30 calendar days. If you need to send more than $6,000, you can do that in person at a MoneyGram agent location. Next, you choose how to send the payment, using a credit or debit card or your bank account. You'll be asked to verify your identity, then review your order and hit SEND!
Send Money in Person
To send money in person, locate a MoneyGram location near you. You can check their website for location details. With 350,000 locations around the world, there should be one near you. Once you know where to go, make sure you bring your identification, know the recipient's name and address and the amount you plan to send. Give the agent the amount you are sending, plus the fee, in cash, and your money will be on its way. Give your eight-digit reference number to your receiver for easy pickup.
Track your MoneyGram Transaction
You can track the status of your transfer two different ways. If you've created an online account, it's easy to log in and view your transaction history. If you don't have an online account, you can still visit the Moneygram site and use their Track a Transfer tool. Use your authorization or reference number. You can also use this tool to check the status if you are receiving a payment.
Use the Authorization Number
When you send money using MoneyGram, you'll receive a unique tracking number called the Authorization number, which you can find in the confirmation email you receive after submitting the transaction.
Once the transaction is successfully sent, you'll also receive a Reference number. You can use either the Authorization number or Reference number to check the status of your transfer. In addition, you need the last name of the sender (You).
If you lose either of these numbers, you can call MoneyGram's customer service number (1-800-MoneyGram). Give them the sender's phone number or the receiver's name along with the send date or amount in order to obtain the reference number.
Status of Your Payment
If you've logged into the account, navigate to the status section. There are several status descriptors.
- “Pending” is what usually appears right after you initiate the transfer. This indicates that the funding source is still being verified for authenticity.
- “In Process” indicates that the funding source has been approved. However, the money is still being electronically transferred so isn't yet ready for pick up.
- “Payment Complete,” lets you know that the money is available but not yet claimed.
- “Picked Up” will be displayed once the recipient has the money in hand.
- If you're the one who's receiving the money, then you can also check with the sender regarding the status of the money transfer. You should allow at least two to three weeks of processing time before you track a MoneyGram transaction. Remember that the processing time depends on the date that your money has been sent to you through MoneyGram transaction. You should count the days after the money transmission has been made.
- Be prepared to provide other information about your money transmission just in case.