What Education Is Needed to Start a Daycare?

bizfluent article image

child playing image by Christopher Hall from Fotolia.com

The demand for high-quality child care is essential in today's world and there are certain educational requirements needed before you can become licensed. Each state has its own educational requirements and offers classes to get you started. Contact your state's department of human or social services to sign up for a day care orientation and a list of the required classes. In addition to being 18 years old and providing a safe environment for children, the following certifications are typically required in most states.

CPR and First Aid Certification

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and basic first aid certifications are required for day care providers so they are able to manage a pediatric injury or illness until professional help arrives. You will learn how to respond to an infant, child or even an adult who needs CPR or first-aid care when there is an emergency. These classes are sometimes offered together and take only one or two days to complete. The licensing agency will give you information about where to sign up for classes.

Shaken Baby and SIDS Certification

To care for small infants and toddlers, most states require you to get certified in Shaken Baby Syndrome and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome awareness. Training provides information on how to prevent SIDS and why it is never acceptable to shake any child. These classes are recommended for new parents as well as anyone who cares for a child.

Child Restraints/Carseat Certification

Some states require a course in car seat education. This class educates individuals on the proper techniques of installing a car seat and making sure that a child is buckled-in correctly. Training will include infant car seats and school-aged child booster seats.

Associate Degree In Childhood Education

Many child care workers choose to further their education by getting an associate degree in childhood education. Courses generally include:

  • child psychology
  • cognitive skills
  • communications
  • language
  • interpersonal conflict
  • CPR

A degree enables child care providers to work in a day care center as a supervisor or administrator. Classes can be taken online, or at a technical or vocational school.