Established in 1974, Foot Locker is now one of the most popular retailers of athletic shoes and apparel. The company has over 3,276 stores in the United States, North America, Asia, Europe and Australia. According to a 2018 survey, more than 23 percent of Americans age 18 to 29 purchased shoes from its retail stores. Entrepreneurs who wish to start a profitable business and increase their revenue may consider a Foot Locker franchise. However, the company doesn't provide franchise opportunities. You may apply for a job and work your way up to management.
TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
Foot Locker does not offer franchise opportunities.
Foot Locker at a Glance
This beloved sports brand has its headquarters in Manhattan, New York City. It operates in 28 countries worldwide, including the U.K., Germany, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Turkey, New Zealand and South Korea. In 2017, its global revenue reached $7.7 billion, including $1.1 billion from e-commerce sales.
Over the years Foot Locker has launched several brands, including Ladies Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker and Footaction. It also owns the popular online shopping platform Eastbay and other brands like Champ Sports and Runner's Point. In 2016, about 68 percent of its products came from Nike. Customers can choose from thousands of goods, including sneakers, running shoes, sandals, track tops, sweatshirts and sports accessories like wristbands and basketballs.
Does Footlocker Provide Franchise Opportunities?
Unfortunately, the company doesn't operate franchise stores in the United States. All of its U.S. stores are operated internally, while its European branches are owned by Foot Locker Europe BV. Your only option is to climb the career ladder and become a store manager or secure other roles that would allow you to run a Foot Locker store in your area.
Other Sports Brand Franchise Opportunities
The good news is that you can choose from many other sports brands that offer franchise opportunities worldwide. Fleet Feet, Destination Athlete, Gap and Pro Image Sports are just a few to mention. Gap Inc., for example, owns several brands, including Athleta. Entrepreneurs who are interested in buying a Gap franchise need to have experience in this field and must submit a high-level business plan along with other relevant information to email@example.com.
With a franchise, you'll enjoy all the perks of small business ownership while being part of a global network. Additionally, you may find it easier to secure financing and attract customers. The downside is that you'll have less freedom and flexibility than you'd have when running your own business. Plus, any profits you make will be shared.
Consider Working for Foot Locker
If you love this popular sports brand, consider applying for a job in one of its stores. This will give you an opportunity to learn about sports apparel and footwear, how this business works and what to expect. Later, you can open your own store or apply for a franchise with another company that requires experience in this industry.
Access the Foot Locker website and click "Career Opportunities" at the bottom of the home page. Enter a zip code, enter a job title or select from several job categories, such as retail sales, marketing and public relations, finance and accounting and more. This will allow you to see what roles are currently available in your industry or in your location. Select the desired position, check out the job requirements and click "Apply Now." Complete the application form with your contact information, education, employment history and other relevant data. Submit it and wait for a reply.
How much money you'll earn depends on your location and the job for which you apply. Sales associates, for example, have an average hourly rate of $9.30. Software engineers who work for Foot Locker have an average annual income of $81,423. Store managers have an average annual income of $42,863. Employees also receive perks like life insurance, health insurance, dental coverage and 401(k) plans. About 47 percent of employees say they are paid fairly.
- Foot Locker, Inc.: Who We Are
- Footlocker, Inc.: 2016 Annual Report
- eMarketer: Foot Locker Revenue & Sales
- Bloomberg: Company Overview of Foot Locker, Inc.
- Gap Inc.: Franchise Information
- Foot Locker, Inc. "Who We Are." Accessed June 30, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc. "2004 Annual Report," Page 2. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- The Guardian. "Woolworths: the rise and fall of the department store empire." Accessed June 30.
- Kinney Shoe Corp. "History of Kinney Shoes." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc. "COMPANY NEWS; VENATOR, ONCE WOOLWORTH, IS NOW FOOT LOCKER." Accessed June 30, 2020.
- Chicago Tribune. "NO, WOOLWORTH`S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc. "About Us." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Wall Street Journal. "Woolworth Will Buy Eastbay In Deal Valued at $146 Million." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- LA Times. "Commentary: Eastbay catalog memories: It’s where a generation went to look at sneakers — and dream." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- SGB Media. "Foot Locker Prevails in Footaction Acquisition Bid." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc. "2019 Annual Report," Pages 1-2. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- PR Newswire. "Foot Locker, Inc. Signs Definitive Agreement To Acquire Runners Point Group." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- PR Newswire. "Foot Locker, Inc. Completes Acquisition of Runners Point Group." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc. "Foot Locker, Inc. Announces $100M Strategic Investment In GOAT Group." Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Foot Locker, Inc.. "Foot Locker, Inc. Announces $100M Strategic Investment In GOAT Group." Accessed July 1, 2020.
Andra Picincu is a digital marketing consultant with over 10 years of experience. She works closely with small businesses and large organizations alike to help them grow and increase brand awareness. She holds a BA in Marketing and International Business and a BA in Psychology. Over the past decade, she has turned her passion for marketing and writing into a successful business with an international audience. Current and former clients include The HOTH, Bisnode Sverige, Nutracelle, CLICK - The Coffee Lover's Protein Drink, InstaCuppa, Marketgoo, GoHarvey, Internet Brands, and more. In her daily life, Ms. Picincu provides digital marketing consulting and copywriting services. Her goal is to help businesses understand and reach their target audience in new, creative ways.