How to Get A Government Grant For A Farm

by Contributor; Updated September 26, 2017
Federal farm grants can be used to repair your farmhouse.

Government funded farm grants are available through the Department of Agriculture for land development. Farm grants can pay for employee housing, home repair, farm equipment and crop assistance, among other things.

Step 1

Contact your local Department of Agriculture. If you are unable to contact or get information needed from your local department, you can start with the federal office in Washington, D.C., at (202) 720-6221.

Step 2

Request a consultation with a Department of Agriculture agent who can help you with the grant process. Depending on your location, you may schedule a meeting over the phone or in person.

Step 3

Talk with your assigned agent about what type of funding you need and what funding is available in the district you are in. Be sure to listen to what is available; they may come up with options that you may have not thought of.

Step 4

When meeting with the Department of Agriculture to get a farm grant you will need to have in your possession your ID, Social Security card and any information you might have on the items you need funding for.

Step 5

Work with your agent closely while going through the grant approval process. The amount of money you are asking for will determine the process of the approval. Typically small farm grants only require a fill-in-the-blank application, while large grants will require a full blown grant proposal.


  • Get to know the agent assigned to you thought the department of Agriculture. They will be able to give you step by steps how your

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images