LinkedIn isn’t just for staying connected to college classmates and former colleagues. It’s a valuable marketing tool that you can use for your company to strengthen your brand and gain exposure for your company. LinkedIn offers several tools for small businesses. One of these is a free page for your company that allows you to post information and updates about your business.
How to Create a Company Page on LinkedIn
Creating a company page on LinkedIn is a simple process, even for those who aren’t technologically inclined. To create a company page on LinkedIn, you must already have a personal LinkedIn account. The company page must be linked to a personal account, preferably the owner of the business. If you don’t already have a personal LinkedIn account, you can create a free one online.
To create a company page, log into your LinkedIn account and select the work icon on the top right corner of the screen. Select “Create a Company Page” and enter your company name and a unique company website address. The public website address you enter cannot be the same as for any existing company on LinkedIn, so be sure to use something original. Generally, it will be the exact name of your company. If a company with that name already exists, use a shorter or longer version that still matches your company.
Before creating the page, you’ll need to confirm that you are authorized to create the page for the company. Once you do, click “Create page” and verify your email address. After you do all of this, your page is created and ready to be edited. Fill in the necessary information, including company description, your company details and your company logo or preferred images. Your company page can be updated and edited at any time.
How Is LinkedIn Used in the Business World?
LinkedIn found a niche in the business world as a valuable tool in creating connections, promoting business activities and connecting companies to job seekers. Here are a few of the ways LinkedIn is used in the business world:
- Building your brand: LinkedIn has more than 500 million professionals on its platform. Once you establish your company page, you can invite people to it and market it so that people can find you. You can also include keywords to optimize your profile so that you’re found in web searches related to your business.
- Sharing information: Through LinkedIn, you can share news about your business, such as your latest product development or industry award. You can also connect with people by sharing articles and news that is relevant to your business and its followers. Doing so can keep your followers engaged and keep your business top of mind.
- Finding employees: LinkedIn has a very active job board. For a fee, you can post job openings at your company and attract people specifically looking for the type of position you post. By viewing a job applicant’s LinkedIn profile, you have an easy way to check their qualifications and experience to see if they’re a good fit. This can make it quicker to fill empty positions.
- Differentiate yourself from competitors: There’s a good chance your competitors are also on LinkedIn. Through your posts, you can highlight what makes your company unique. You can also view the company pages of your competitors to see what they are up to and what you can do to make your company just a bit different. This can be a valuable marketing tool.
- Networking: Through LinkedIn, you can connect with hundreds of people. These can be others in your industry, people interested in your business or just general connections. Through your connections, you can find potential business leads and referrals that your sales team can nurture. Your team can message people directly through LinkedIn or connect with them externally.
There are many ways to make LinkedIn work for your business. The first step is to make sure people find your company page.
How to Market Your Company Page on LinkedIn
After creating your company page on LinkedIn, you want to make sure to market it so that people find it. On the LinkedIn platform, you can do this by attracting followers, publishing content and purchasing LinkedIn advertising.
To attract followers, you may want to start with inviting your employees and other people you know to follow your company page. That will start generating interest. You can attract external followers by networking with like-minded professionals on LinkedIn groups and publishing content that people can share.
If you have the budget, you can also invest in targeted LinkedIn advertising. Doing this can reach a larger audience for your company page than posting can do alone. That is because LinkedIn shows your paid content to an audience outside of your followers, encouraging them to become followers. LinkedIn can target the ads to demographics that make sense for your business.
To market your company page on LinkedIn outside of the platform, add the link to your unique company page address in promotional materials and on business cards. You can also link to the page directly from your email signature, email newsletters and your website.
Spending time growing your company page on LinkedIn makes sense as part of your overall social media and marketing strategy.
Leslie Bloom has worked in upper-level management positions in both publishing and the mental health field. In addition to years of business and management experience, she has more than 20 years of experience writing for a variety of online and print publications, including Metro Magazine. She holds degrees in both journalism and law.