Regularly reviewing your sales and accounts receivable data is helpful to ensure you are on top of which payments you should receive, and when. With QuickBooks' small business bookkeeping software, you can access an invoice report feature that lets you stay up-to-date on how much income you have received and the amount that is outstanding.
The “open invoices” report permits you to see a list of all unpaid invoices within your QuickBooks database, as of the current day. The report will automatically sort the list by customer and provide a subtotal for the amount that each customer owes. Double click on any specific invoice to see the transaction details.
- Choose Reports from the top toolbar in QuickBooks.
- Click Customers & Receivables.
- Hit Open Invoices. A full list of open invoices will be displayed on your screen.
An additional benefit of viewing a full list of open invoices in QuickBooks is that it can help you to spot duplicates. Accidentally assigning the same invoice number to two different invoices can compromise your accounts receivable data and make it difficult to keep track of income.
Once you have generated an open invoices report, you can apply custom filters to view specific data, such as a list of invoices for a particular type of customer.
- Choose Customize Report to open a dialog box.
- Click on Filters.
- Choose Class to determine a specific type of customer invoice, such as wholesale customers.
- Click the specific customers that you want to display from the list of wholesale customers. Choose Ok.
- A Modify Report window will open. Hit Ok to generate your list.
If you need a hard copy of the invoice data for any reason, such as to distribute, mark up or bring to a meeting, the invoice report can be printed. Choose the Print option from the top toolbar. Click on your printer from the drop-down menu and hit Print.