How to Get a Liquor License in Texas

martini image by Mat Hayward from

Selling liquor is a lucrative business that is carefully regulated by the state. Retail establishments that wish to sell liquor in Texas must obtain a liquor license. The retailer will need to go through the county's branch of the Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) to obtain a license prior to initiating any alcohol sales. The licensing process is tedious, but can be accomplished with perseverance and attention to all applicable rules.

Obtain a licensure packet from your local Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission office. This packet will contain the forms and information that you need to initiate the licensing process. Fill out the packet and return it to the TABC office, allowing up to 60 days for processing.

Post a notice in a conspicuous location on the outside of your business establishment to notify the public that you have applied for a liquor license. Signage and outdoor sign posting guidelines are available at your local TABC office.

Prepare for your TABC inspection early. This inspection is required of most establishments applying for a new liquor license.

Attend your licensing interview in your local TABC office. Be sure to bring any managing partners or owners of the establishment along with the applicant to this interview. The TABC office will contact you to schedule this interview after your licensing packet has been processed.

Remit payment of your state licensing fees to the TABC. These fees are non-refundable once the liquor license has been issued.

Attend your licensing hearing at the county courthouse. TABC will be present at the hearing and will provide information regarding your proposed license to the judge for review. You may wish to have legal counsel present at this hearing to represent your interests.

Register with the National Revenue Center in Cincinnati, Ohio once you have been issued your liquor license. Be sure you follow the guidelines of the state and county in order to keep your license active and in good standing.


  • You may wish to hire an attorney or licensing representative to help streamline the licensing process.


About the Author

Ginger Kelly has been an accomplished professional writer since 1997. She began her career writing for school newsletters and newspapers, then moved on to community newspapers. Kelly has written various articles on a variety of topics ranging from parenting to health care. She is a paralegal graduate of Blackstone College.

Photo Credits