How to Get Someone's Post Office Box Number

by Resonna Shaw ; Updated September 26, 2017
Post office box 314

Usually when a person moves she will have her mail forwarded to her new address. But there are times when a person would have their mail forwarded to a Post Office Box address until they get comfortable in their new home. Any mail that is sent to the old address will be returned to the original sender, with a notice of the recipent's new address. The Post Office has no system in place to allow an individual to obtain another person's forwarding address. But there are some indirect ways to obtain this information.

Woman writing postcards

Write the person a letter asking for his new address and send the letter to his old address. The letter should be forwarded to his Post Office box and if he responds you will have his new address.

City sorter postal service , Germany , Berlin

Wait until the forwarding expires and address a letter to the person's old address. Write "address service requested" under your return address. The Post Office will only forward mail from the old address to the new address for a limited time. Once the time has expired the Post Office will send back your letter with the new forwarding address.

Father looking at paperwork by daughter (2-4) on sofa

Search free websites such as MelissaData.com or ZabaSearch.com. These websites generally have people's most recent addresses. You will need to know the person's current city and state to use these services.


  • Make sure you have your return address on all correspondence.

About the Author

Resonna Shaw has been a writer since 2008, for personal enjoyment and for various websites. Shaw holds a bachelor's degree in human resources from DeVry University and is currently pursuing a Master of Business Administration at Keller University.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article