Motor carriers engaged in interstate commerce must comply with established rules and regulations as set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The FCSA mandates polices and enforces the safe and legal operation of motor carrier and for-hire transportation service providers within the United States; this includes motor carriers domiciled in Canada and Mexico that operate within U.S. Borders.

Things You Will Need
  • Application forms

  • USDOT Number

  • Insurance

Step 1.

Submit application package MCS-150 to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. This application package must be filed by all new entrant motor carriers. Once the new entrant completes this package, a temporary USDOT Number will be issued.

Step 2.

Complete registration and licensing requirements as established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Step 3.

Complete and file necessary forms in the OP-1 series and pay a filing fee of $300. Each type of authority requires a separate filing fee. Exempt for-hire and private carriers are not required to pay a fee. Motor carriers required to complete these forms must be granted an operating authority prior to transporting for-hire loads. Motor carriers transporting passengers, hazardous materials, and household goods, and those domiciled outside the United States are required to complete additional forms.

Step 4.

File form BOC-3 to designate a process agent. This is required for motor carriers, freight brokers and freight forwarders.

Step 5.

Purchase required insurance for your type of business operation and establish financial responsibility. Obtain permanent USDOT and MC Number and maintain accurate records.


Establish which forms are required prior to submitting for a USDOT Number and operating authority (MC Number).