Pastry Chefs: Business License Requirements

bizfluent article image

Italian pastry with chocolate image by from

You probably spend around nine to fourteen hours working for someone else as a pastry chef--ordering supplies, preparing a budget, creating menus, testing new recipes and managing other pastry cooks. However, you can do it for yourself with your own pastry business. With the management knowledge that you have acquired, all you need now is the appropriate certification, registration and permits and you are on your way to providing your own delectable treats.

ANSI Certification

You'll need certification in food safety training accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the Conference for Food Protection (CFP) to run your pastry chef business. ServSafe, National Registry of Food Safety Professionals (NRFSP) or Prometric are equally recognized by every health department in the country with the ANSI designation. In order to get your certification, you must register, study and train online, then take the test in the presence of a licensed supervisor at any of over 1,500 testing centers across the nation.

Business Registration

Now that you have your food safety certification for your pastry chef business, it's time to register your business as a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation. If you create a sole proprietorship, you do not need to register your business with the state but you will need to file a trade name unless you are using your personal name. For a corporation or partnership structure, you will have to register your business with your state government.

Tax Identification

You'll need an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is also known as an Employer Tax ID, from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service if your business has employees or if you have a partnership or corporation.

Permits and Licenses

You will be required to collect sales tax if you plan to sell baked goods and other products. You'll need to obtain a sales tax permit and an industry-specific operating permit or vendor's license through your state and local governments. Some licenses, permits and registrations need to be renewed on a regular basis and must be prominently displayed where they can be seen by customers.