With an esthetics license, you're qualified to scrub, sand and abrade clients' skin. Many states offer reciprocity, which means esthetics licenses from other states are recognized and make you automatically eligible to receive a license from your new state. If the requirements for an esthetician license in your original state are fewer than those in the new state, you may need to complete additional education or training before you begin work. Always have your licensing in order before you begin offering services in your new state.

Step 1.

Contact the licensing board in the new state to find out the education and experience requirements. You must meet or exceed the requirements in your new state, in most cases.

Step 2.

Fill out the Application for Reciprocity, if the new state has one available. If there is none, you may need to submit an Application for an Esthetics License through Endorsement, which means that your experience and education are checked and approved. You can get either form from the board of cosmetology in your new state.

Step 3.

Contact the board of cosmetology that licensed you. Ask for an affidavit that verifies your licensing and experience. Tell them which state you're applying for a license in -- the affidavit can be sent directly to the new state in many cases. Some states have online systems that verify a candidate's authenticity; if you are from one of those states, you may not need an affidavit.

Step 4.

Sign and date the form.

Step 5.

Include a copy of your driver's license, a copy of your esthetician's license, a copy of your Social Security card and your license certification, along with any other required documentation. Send the application and the documents to the board of cosmetology that will license you.


Hours of education for an esthetics license vary depending on the region. The U.S. Virgin Islands only requires 250 hours of education; Alabama requires 1,500 hours.


If you have less education and want to be qualified based on at least six months' experience, some states -- like Virginia -- will allow it. You must provide at least two reference letters with your application to qualify.