How to Get TCLEOSE Certification in San Antonio

The Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) oversees peace officer certification and licensing in San Antonio and throughout the state of Texas. Though peace officer certification is the focus of TCLEOSE, the organization also offers certification for practitioners of other law enforcement duties, such as jailers and emergency telecommunications personnel. In addition to having experience in the peace officer field, you must be a high school graduate and at least 21 years old to qualify for TCLEOSE certification in San Antonio. With experience and education, you can update your basic TCLEOSE certification to intermediate, advanced and masters levels.

Gain experience as a peace officer. You must have at least one year of experience as a peace officer to qualify for TCLEOSE basic peace officer proficiency certification. You can gain this experience as a sheriff’s deputy, state trooper, municipal police officer or with federal law enforcement agencies. Application, training and employment requirements for peace officers vary depending on your law enforcement agency.

Complete your required courses. You must complete two courses to qualify for TCLEOSE basic peace officer proficiency certification: a departmental personnel orientation and peace officer field training. In general, you will have completed these courses as part of your peace officer training with your law enforcement agency. If you lack one of these courses, you can complete one or both at select community colleges or police academies. Course providers in the San Antonio area include the Alamo Area Law Enforcement Academy (, Bexar County Sheriff’s Academy ( and San Antonio College Law Enforcement Academy ( See the TCLEOSE website for a full list of approved course providers (see Resources).

Confirm that your records are up-to-date. Once you complete your courses and complete your one-year experience requirement, it is the responsibility of your training provider or employer to update your records with TCLEOSE. Once TCLEOSE sees that you have completed your courses and completed your one year of experience, they will send your TCLEOSE basic peace officer proficiency certification to your employer agency.