How to Get a Daycare Director License in Texas

by Leyla Norman - Updated August 21, 2018
Take the next step: earn your director's certification.

Child care center directors in Texas are responsible for ensuring that the center and employees comply with minimum standard rules of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Directors must also make sure that employees are given assignments appropriate to their training, abilities, and skills, and that all employees are supervised and that they do not work more than 10 hours in a 12-our period. Directors must obtain certification to operate a daycare center as well as meet other minimum education and experience requirements.

Ensure that you meet one of the combinations of education and experience outlined in Texas' minimum standards for licensed daycare centers. Different requirements are outlined for directors of centers licensed for more than 13 children and centers licensed for less than 13 children. For example, one of the seven options for meeting this requirement in a center licensed for more than 13 children is having a bachelor's degree with 12 credit hours in child development and three hours in business management and at least one year of experience as an employee in a licensed child care center or a registered and licensed child care home.

Enroll in a daycare director credentialing organization's program recognized by child care licensing if you do not meet one of the qualifying combinations of education and experience for daycare directors. Some include Camp Fire USA, National Child Care Association, and Child Care Management Education Services. A complete list of such organizations can be found on the licensing section of the Department of Family and Protective Services website (see Resources.)

Show that you have completed your director qualifications by submitting the following: a licensing Personal History Statement form stating your experience and education, a Request for Criminal History and Central Registry Check form, a notarized licensing Affidavit for Applicants for Employment, a licensing Governing Body/Director Designation form, and a current, original licensing Child Care Center Director's Certificate form, or an original college transcript or training certificate that verifies director education requirements, and a list of dates, addresses, phone numbers, and names that support the required experience. Most of these forms are available on the forms section of the licensing page of the Department of Family and Protective Services website.

Receive your Child Care Center Director's Certificate after licensing determines that you meet minimum standard qualifications. Whether your certificate will expire depends on the combination or experience and education you have. Refer to 746.1053 and 746.1055 of Texas' minimum standards for more information regarding your particular case (see Reference). Licensing does not charge a fee for issuing the director's certificate.


  • Refer to the Texas minimum standards handbook to see if you might be exempt from director qualifications. Several instances are outlined that might exempt you.

    You can substitute clock hours of training or continuing education units for the required credit hours in business management and child development. Five CEUs or 50 clock hours of training is equal to a three-credit-hour course.

    If Licensing has questions as to whether courses you have taken will count as child development or business education courses, it might ask you to provide original transcripts, course catalog descriptions or a course syllabus. If you took education courses outside the United States, you must supply a copy of the diploma, a transcript or letter from the school to show that your education program was equivalent to one in the United States. Any documents written in another language than English must be translated into English.

    If you have one year of experience as a full-time classroom teacher in grades kindergarten through third at an accredited school or if you have one year of study as a post-graduate in child development, early childhood education, or a closely related field, you can substitute this experience for one year of full-time work in a licensed child care center or a registered or licensed child care home. You also can substitute part-time or substitute teaching in a kindergarten through third grade classroom at an accredited school if all of the time you taught equals one year of full-time teaching.

About the Author

Leyla Norman has been a writer since 2008 and is a certified English as a second language teacher. She also has a master's degree in development studies and a Bachelor of Arts in anthropology.

Photo Credits

  • certificate for you to fill in image by Peter Baxter from
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article