How to Find Out the Status of Unemployment in Kentucky

by Michaele Curtis; Updated September 26, 2017

Any time your unemployment status changes, the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training sends a notice in the mail alerting you of the change. This helps you keep on top of any changes in your claim, including your payments. However, you can also access the OET’s claims system to view the status of your claim, including your pending payments and the balance of your claim. You can find out by Internet or phone system.

Items you will need

  • Social Security number
  • Personal identification number


Step 1

Access the Kentucky Electronic Workplace for Employment Services, or KEWES, website. Click “Unemployment Benefits - Internet Claim Filing.” Click “I agree.”

Step 2

Log into your account using your Social Security number and the personal identification number you created when you started your original unemployment claim.

Step 3

View your claim details and status on the next page.


Step 1

Dial the claims number, 1-877-369-5984, on a touch-tone phone. Select the second option in the main menu.

Step 2

Enter your Social Security number and PIN to log in to the system.

Step 3

Listen to the details of your claim, including your last payments and the balance of the claim.


  • The PIN you need to log into the system is the one you created when you started your unemployment claim. If you forget your PIN, you must call the claims line to speak to a live representative. After you verify your identity, they can reset your PIN.


  • If you’re using the website to check your status on a computer you don’t own, remember to log out after your session. If you don’t, someone else could access the private information about your claim.

About the Author

Michaele Curtis began writing professionally in 2001. As a freelance writer for the Centers for Disease Control, Nationwide Insurance and AT&T Interactive, her work has appeared in "Insurance Today," "Mobiles and PDAs" and "Curve Magazine." Curtis holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication from Louisiana State University.