If you are a non-profit organization, you may be eligible to apply for a tax exemption from sales and uses tax in the state of Tennessee. To be eligible for a sales and use tax exemption, you must be a TCA Section 67-6-322, a 501(c)(3), a 501(c)(5) Labor Organization or another organization defined as non-profit by Tennessee's legal code. Completion of a one page application will register your organization for an exemption.

Download Tennessee Department of Revenue's Application for Registration (see "Resources").

Read the "Entities eligible for Tennessee sales and use tax exemption include" section at the bottom of page 1. Ensure that your organization falls into the sales and use tax exemption category by checking for your organization type in the list.

Fill the application out completely. You'll need to provide information about you and your business, including the structure of your organization. For example, a 501(c)(3).

Collect the supporting documentation required for your application. Required documentation is listed on page 2 of the form. For example, if you are a youth camp, you must submit a copy of your charter and a roster of all children under the age of 18.

Send the application and supporting documents to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, Taxpayer and Vehicle Services Division, Andrew Jackson Office Building, 500 Deaderick Street, Nashville, Tennessee 37242.


Call the 24-hour tax information message center with any questions at 800-342-1003 or 615-253-0600 if you are in the Nashville area or you are out of state.