There are many decisions to make for a business startup. If you're a believer in astrology, you might want to look to the stars for guidance in choosing a good date to start a business.
Astrology in a Nutshell
Astrology is the study of celestial objects and their influence on human behavior and activities. According to astrology, the planets and the two lights (the Sun and the Moon) represent a set of principles. Through the planets, astrological signs are defined. These signs indicate a quality of action and are categorized by the qualities of the four essential elements: earth, wind, fire and air.
Astrological houses are calculated based on a specific time and place. The houses describe how a planet in a particular sign relates to different aspects of life, such as starting a business. The position of astrological elements are plotted on a map called a horoscope. Someone experienced in charting horoscopes can advise you on optimal times for decision-making. Each house is numbered and is associated with an astrological sign and has a modern title that helps to define it.
These are the 12 houses with associated astrological signs in parentheses:
- 1st House: House of Self (Aries)
- 2nd House: House of Value (Taurus)
- 3rd House: House of Communications (Gemini)
- 4th House: House of Home and Family (Cancer)
- 5th House: House of Pleasure (Leo)
- 6th House: House of Health (Virgo)
- 7th House: House of Partnerships (Libra)
- 8th House: House of Reincarnation (Scorpio)
- 9th House: House of Philosophy (Sagittarius)
- 10th House: House of Social Status (Capricorn)
- 11th House: House of Friendships (Aquarius)
- 12th House: House of Self-Undoing (Pisces)
Understanding a Birth Chart
A birth chart, also called a natal chart, shows the position of the planets in the sky at the time of your birth. Obviously, you had no choice in determining the most favorable time to be born. You can, however, choose precise times with respect to establishing your business start-up. By understanding the influences of celestial bodies, you can pick optimal times to make decisions about your business start-up.
Here are the most important celestial entities and their influences:
- The Sun represents ego, self, personality and general preferences. The Sun governs Leo, a fire sign associated with bravery and vivacity. The Sun takes about a month to move across a zodiac sign, a month in which you can make plans to launch a new venture.
- The Moon represents the inner self and everything that is beneath the surface. It governs Cancer, a water sign associated with security, nurturing and comfort. The Moon's transit across a zodiac sign is brief, just two and a half days. This might be the time for self-care amidst the work of starting a business.
- Mercury, the smallest planet and the one closest to the Sun, governs the air sign Gemini and the earth sign Virgo. Mercury symbolizes communication and governs our ability to use our intellect to analyze and synthesize complex ideas. Mercury takes roughly two weeks to transit a zodiac sign, a good time to learn about the industry and do some market analysis.
- Venus, associated with luxury, beauty, love and money, governs the Earth sign Taurus and the air sign Libra. Venus reflects an interest in art and culture. Venus takes four or five weeks to transit a zodiac sign. Design a logo, work on your store's decor or other visual aspects of your business.
- Mars is named after the Roman god of war and, fittingly, symbolized action and determination. Mars, which governs the fire sign Aries, is said to provide an adrenaline boost needed to get things done. Mars requires six to seven weeks to transit a zodiac sign, so this could be your most productive period for building your startup.
- Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system and thus represents abundance. Jupiter governs the fire sign Sagitarrius, the zodiac's thrill-seeker. When Jupiter is in our house, we are encouraged to broaden our horizons through education. Since Jupiter takes 12-13 months to transit a zodiac sign, it's the perfect opportunity to take some business courses.
- Saturn governs the earth sign Capricorn and represents tireless ambition, which you need to build, manage and grow your business startup. Saturn takes approximately two and a half years to transit a zodiac sign, ample time to study the rules, regulations and restrictions that apply to your startup and the industry.
- Uranus symbolizes technology and innovation. As a planet, Uranus doesn't follow the typical orbit of other planets. It tilts so far on its axis that it essentially orbits the Sun sideways. Uranus governs the air sign Aquarius. Representing dynamic change and free-thinking, Uranus passes through one zodiac sign every seven years.
- Neptune, which governs the water sign Pisces, transits through a zodiac sign in 14 years. Neptune is associated with powerful creative energy, but be careful, as it is also associated with fantasy. Stay grounded in reality if Neptune is in your house.
- Pluto symbolizes power, transformation, destruction and regeneration. It governs the water sign Scorpio. Taking 14 to 30 years to transit a single zodiac sign, Pluto reminds us that forward progress requires us to release the past. Take the lessons from previous mistakes and move on.
Create a Business Birth Chart
You can use what you know about the zodiac signs, houses and planetary influences to chart the best times to make business decisions. Develop a detailed business plan and chart the optimal time to execute each step. Remember that as planets get farther from the Sun, their orbits take longer. Distant planets transit through a single zodiac sign over a matter of years, even a generation. Decide which planetary influences are the most important to you as you consider transit times.
Help With a Business Birth Chart
Creating a birth chart for a business essentially requires you to work backward. Instead of starting with a time and date as you would with a human's birth chart and then uncovering characteristics and destinies, you decide on the end result you want for your business and choose a good date to start a business accordingly.
There are many resources in print and online that can help you understand horoscopes and birth charts as they relate to business. If you don't want to plot a birth chart yourself, or if you're not fully confident in your ability to do so, consult an astrologer. You can even find one who specializes in business and who can help you choose a good date to start a business.
The Validity of Astrology
Although astrology uses some scientific knowledge about celestial bodies, the scientific community cautions that astrology does not meet the criteria to qualify as a science. Astrology uses predictions and explanations that are not generally testable. Unlike scientific discoveries, astrology has not been modified in response to contradictory evidence. There is no astrological research or critical evaluation of assertions.
Scientists caution against using astrology as a sole basis for decisions. In other words, use common sense. Take the advice of experienced business professionals when it comes to making important decisions about your financial future.
Denise Dayton, M.S., M.Ed. is a freelance writer specializing in careers, education and technology. In addition to writing for corporate clients, she has published articles in Library Journal and The Searcher.