Changes in a business organization can be necessary over time, depending on its growth and the interest of the ownership group. When partnerships end or a corporation or other type of business expands, structural and name changes might be necessary and unavoidable. Organizations have to register the changes with the Secretary of State where the business is operating to avoid fines and the dissolution of the company. Businesses in Texas have to process amendments to the original filing documents to reflect the new business name.

Things You Will Need
  • Original filing information

  • Amendment Form(s)

  • Fee(s)

Gather all the original filing documents for the business. Information for the business such as its original name, the date the original filing was completed, the filing number assigned by the Secretary of State, and the business entity type will be needed to make any changes to the business entity.

Obtain Form 424, a Certificate of Amendment for the business name change. Certificate of Amendment forms can be obtained through the Texas Secretary of State’s website and can be filled out online and printed. Amendments can be made to a Texas business certificate formation at any time after the entity has filed with the state.

Fill out the Certificate of Amendment form. The original name currently on file with the Texas Secretary of State should be used. Indicate in the first field what the entity name should be changed to. A name search will be conducted to make sure the new business name is available.

Indicate on the form the date the amendment should take effect once approved. The effective date should be no more than 90 days from the date the amendment is filed if a future date is selected. A specific description of instruction on the change can be supplied in the designated field on the form.

Sign the form. A designated representative of the company must sign the form and date it. The designated person’s name must be on file with the Secretary of State with respect to the formation of the original entity in order to be accepted.

Print the completed certificate. The online form cannot be saved after changes are made to it. If the window is closed out, all the information entered will be deleted and another form will have to be completed.

Submit the original Certificate of Amendment form and one copy along with the filing fee to the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 13697, Austin, TX 78711-3697. The filing fee for the certificate is $150 unless the organization is a non-profit, in which case the cost is $25. The filing fee can be paid by check, money order or credit card.