How to Start a Wine Import Business

by Scott Yoder ; Updated September 26, 2017
Starting a wine import business is an intricate proposition.

Importing wine can be a lucrative trade, but to start an import business you will have to submit the proper documentation to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau, a division of the U.S. Treasury Department. Also, you will have to submit business and tax forms to the state in which you will do business and be aware of their requirements for importing alcoholic beverages. You are required to maintain and staff a business office in the United States to import a product like wine.

Wine Importing Business

Find and secure a location for your business. Insure adequate office space and space for wine storage.

Complete TTB Form 5100.24,the Application for Basic Permit Under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act. Mail to "Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, National Revenue Center, 550 Main St., Room 8002, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202".

Acquire and complete all qualifying documents for the state you will do business in. Regulations vary from state to state for importing alcoholic beverages.


  • At, they recommend you hire a customs broker when starting an importing business. These professionals can prepare all the necessary documentation and are licensed by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service. It will be an added expense when starting your business, but it will also save a lot of time, particularly with the added paperwork involved in importing alcoholic beverages.

About the Author

Scott Yoder is professional SEO copywriter and editor who specializes in creating online informational marketing content. He is a graduate of the University of Oregon with a Bachelor of Arts in English. A former teacher and specialist in writing curriculum for public education, he now writes extensively about online marketing, green business, technology, legal, and medical topics.

Photo Credits

  • bottle of wine on white image by JoLin from
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article