Having a tax ID number for your farm means that you are serious and that you mean "business." You will need a tax ID number if you desire to open a bank account in your farm's name and also if you desire to hire new employees to work on your farm.

Apply online to obtain a tax ID number for your farm (see Resources). When prompted to enter the type of "Legal Structure" for the organization applying for the tax ID number, select "Farmers' Cooperative." You will be walked through the online application. All of the information requested is basic, such as the name of your farm and the date your farm business officially started. When you finish entering all of the information for the online application, you will be granted a tax ID number. Write down the number. The IRS will mail you a hard copy of your tax ID. You should receive the hard copy within seven to 10 business days.

Telephone the IRS at 800-829-4933 to obtain a tax ID number for your farm. A representative will complete the form for you over the telephone by asking questions pertaining to your farm. After walking you through the form, the representative will provide you with your tax ID number. You will later receive a mailing from the IRS containing your farm tax ID number.

Complete IRS form SS-4 and fax it to the IRS at 859-669-5760. For line "9A" of the form SS-4, select "Other" and write "Farm."

Mail your IRS form SS-4 to "Internal Revenue Service," Attn: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999. Once your form has been received and approved by the IRS, the IRS will mail you a hard copy of your farm tax ID number.


When applying for bank accounts for your farm, you will need to present the banking institution with the hard copy of your tax ID number from the IRS.