With over 55,800 locations in 16 countries, the 7-Eleven brand is one of the largest convenience store franchises in the world. As of publication, of the 7,800 stores located in the United States, 6,400 are owned and operated by franchisees. Aspiring business owners wanting to open a 7-Eleven store can purchase a franchise by following several steps, which typically takes 60 to 120 days to complete. The initial franchise fee is based on each store's gross profit and can range from $50,000 to $750,000.
TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
The initial franchise fee is based on each store's gross profit and can range from $100,000 to $1,000,000. However, the actual fees depends on the store you select which includes down payment on inventory, supplies, licenses, permits, bonds, initial cash, etc.
Meet Minimum Requirements
Candidates for a 711 franchise in the United States must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be a United States resident
- Have retail, management or customer service experience
- Have not filed for bankruptcy in the last seven years
- Have excellent credit
- Be able to obtain all the necessary permits and licenses to open and operate the store
Attend a Local Seminar
Though not required, the seminars 7-Eleven offers provide you with the information needed to start the application process and can answer your questions about the brand. You can find upcoming seminars via the 711 franchise page.
Choose a Location
As of 2019, 7-Eleven has franchise locations available in 30 states. You can check the Available Locations page to find the most up-to-date list of available states. If you have a location in mind not listed on that page, you can submit a site to the 7-Eleven real estate team by providing your name, phone number, email address and state and zip of the location. You'll finalize your location later in the application process.
Pick a Franchise Option
The company offers three types of franchising opportunities:
- Single-store: for owners who want to open and operate one store at a time.
- Multi-store: for entrepreneurs with extensive business and retail experience to open several locations at one time.
- Business conversion: for convenience store owners who want to convert their current business into a 7-Eleven franchise.
Fill Out an Application
From the 711 franchise website, fill out and submit the online application. The application asks for your:
- Personal information like name, address, email address and phone number
- Retail and management experience
- Current employment information
- Asset information
Go Through Interview Process
If 7-Eleven feels you are a good fit based on your online application, it will bring you in for an interview with a sales manager, where you'll take qualification tests. During this phase, you'll choose a final location for a store, go through business planning with a 7-Eleven team and have a final interview.
Pay the Initial Investment
As a franchisee, you receive a fully stocked, turnkey store; 7-Eleven takes care of all purchasing land and building and stocking the store. Along with the initial franchise fee, you're still responsible for the following fees:
- Down payment on the store's inventory — includes supplies, business licenses, permits and bonds and averages $29,000.
- Initial cash register funds.
- Miscellaneous fees like training expenses, advertising and store supplies.
Fees vary depending on the area, the store and a store's gross profits in the preceding 12 months. At times, 7-Eleven runs a Zero-Franchise Fee Initiative where franchisees wanting to open stores in certain markets do not have to pay the initial franchise fee. The company also offers up to 65% financing on the initial fee for qualified franchisees. United States military veterans receive a 20% discount on the initial franchise fee, up to $50,000 in savings.