In 2015, only 3.5% of credit cards were used to make cash advances. This fell in 2019, when only about 2.5% of credit cards were used for the same thing, and it’s not really surprising. Cash advances aren’t typically the most financially sound method of getting your hands on extra cash, but it may be your only option if your business is struggling while waiting for payments to come in. Thankfully, if you’re in a pinch, Western Union offers a lot of different ways to get cash advances.
What Is a Cash Advance?
Racking Up the Fees
Western Union Payday Loans
Western Union Online Services
Western Union Telephone Transfer
Like the online services, you can also get a cash advance via telephone. In the U.S., call 1-800-CALL-CASH with your credit card handy. You can send the money to a bank or the Western Union mobile app or collect the cash in person at a physical Western Union location.
Western Union Agent Location
Physical Western Union locations also offer cash advances. Simply go to your local Western Union, fill out the required paperwork and pay with a Visa or Mastercard credit card. You’ll also need identification.
Western Union Loan Payment
While you can typically pay your business’s phone or utility bill with a credit card, you most likely won’t be able to pay some of your larger bills with credit, like a mortgage on a retail space and certain loans. In this case, you can use Western Union as a loan payment or bill payment option.
Western Union loan payment (also known as Western Union bill pay) lets you use your business’s credit card to pay your bills, and for many, it’s more convenient than mailing a check, especially because you can make payments around the clock. Cash advance fees may apply, so check with your credit card company first.
- NerdWallet: What Is a Cash Advance?
- Western Union: Sending Money Online
- Western Union: Money In Minutes Service Notes
- Western Union: This Is The Fee Table
- Western Union: Send Money
- USA Today: Fewer Credit Card Users Are Making This Expensive Mistake, Report Says
- Western Union. "What's the Fastest Way To Send Money for a Cash Pick Up?" Accessed Oct. 26, 2020.
- Federal Trade Commission. "Using Money Transfer Services." Accessed Oct. 27, 2020.
- Western Union. "Send & Transfer Money Online Now." Accessed Oct. 27, 2020.
- Zelle. "Introducing Zelle." Accessed Oct. 26, 2020.
Mariel Loveland is a small business owner, content strategist and writer from New Jersey. Throughout her career, she's worked with numerous startups creating content to help small business owners bridge the gap between technology and sales. Her work has been featured in publications like Business Insider and Vice.