Where to Get W-2 Forms

bizfluent article image

ITkach/iStock/Getty Images

Employers are required annually to complete a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, for each employee. This shows the amount the employee was paid and taxes that were withheld. The W-2 must be filed with the Social Security Administration and a copy provided to each employee. If you need to file W-2 forms and are not using a payroll or accounting service, you must obtain blank forms and fill them out manually.

Sources for W-2 Forms

The ideal source for W-2 forms is the IRS, since you are sure to get the most up-to-date version and they're free. Order by telephone at 1-800-TAX-FORM; order early to ensure timely delivery, since the IRS often gets back-ordered near the end of the year. You can order up to 1,000 copies. Many office supply stores also carry W-2 forms for purchase.

Make Copies

Make sure the W-2 forms allow for at least six copies. Copy A, the red copy, goes to the SSA along with a Form W-3. Copies B, C and 2 go to the employee. Copy 1 is for the state, city or local tax office. Copy D is for the employer's records.