Every business sees its share of problems. Sometimes, it may seem like you’re seeing more than your fair share. Although some challenges might be specific to your business, many are critical business issues that most entrepreneurs face at one time or another. Since these issues are so common, it can help to review critical issues examples and see how other successful business owners coped with some of these problems. These critical business issues are common and can be overcome with time and diligence.
Critical Business Issues: Financial
Money is one of the reasons you started your business in the first place. Finding initial funding is a challenge, but a bigger issue for many businesses is maintaining cash flow. Some business owners may be tempted to go with quick-fix solutions such as merchant cash advances, but those could lead to bigger cash-flow problems down the road.
One of the most critical business skills for success is knowing when to ask for help. When it comes to finances and cash flow, it can help to consult an experienced business accountant or financial adviser. These professionals can help you find the right solutions for your financial issues. Consulting financial professionals early in the life of your business can help prevent financial issues from arising in the first place.
Critical Business Issues: Staffing
Your employees will make or break your business, so it’s critical to find and retain good people. In some businesses, though, staff turnover is high. This leads to high staff costs because you constantly have to hire and train new people. To combat high turnover, consider:
- Your benefits and pay. Is your pay competitive with other similar businesses? If someone can go next door and earn more per hour for the same work, they will. If you can’t offer higher pay, consider offering more flexibility with scheduling.
- Investing in your managers. Your managers train your new employees. Make sure they know how to manage people and invest in teaching them leadership skills.
- Reviewing your hiring process. Are you not consistently checking references? Are you distracted during interviews? Consider putting someone else in charge of hiring to see if that makes a difference in turnover.
Small gestures can also make your employees feel valued, such as catering lunch for your staff. You should also make sure you have a safe environment for your workers and clear procedures for reporting any kind of harassment.
Critical Business Issues: Customers
Every business needs to find customers and then keep those customers. Consider the areas with which your business is struggling and try to get to the root of the problem. Is your advertising ineffective? Are your products not holding up with use? How are you rewarding or enticing customers to come back?
Depending on the issue, consulting with a marketing firm can be a good investment in ensuring your business is getting the visibility it deserves.
Critical Business Issues: Supply
Supply-chain issues are becoming more common for a variety of reasons. Many organizations are keeping less inventory on hand and have fewer suppliers than they might have in the past. Make sure that you have a solid supply-chain strategy that includes multiple suppliers for your critical business components.
Critical Business Issues: Technology
Technology is constantly changing, and that brings new vulnerabilities to businesses. Cybersecurity is one area where businesses shouldn’t cut corners. A data breach can hurt your business’s reputation, and other types of cybersecurity attacks, such as malware, can lead to downtime for your business.
Business owners must also meet regulatory compliance standards for data privacy, which vary depending on where they do business and what type of business they have. Financial and medical companies have stricter regulations than other types of businesses, for example. If you aren’t sure what your business needs when it comes to security and compliance, it helps to consult an IT firm that specializes in working with small businesses.
- Guidant Financial: 7 Common Small Business Problems and How to Overcome Them
- HowStuffWorks: 10 Common Problems for New Businesses
- Lean Methods Group: Top Ten Problems Faced by Business
- Forbes: 5 Critical Business Issues In 2018 And Beyond To Consider
- Fundera: What Is a Merchant Cash Advance?
- Forbes: High Turnover? 10 Ways To Find The Root Problem (And Solve It For Good)
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images