The Internal Revenue Service assigns each registered employer in the U.S. an Employer Identification Number, commonly abbreviated to EIN, for federal tax registration purposes. While the number assigned to an employer cannot be changed, the information the IRS has registered on the business for the EIN, including the business name and the business address, can be changed.

This can be done by mailing a letter on company letterhead to a designated IRS office.

Write a letter indicating which changes need to be made to the information registered with your EIN.

Include the legal name, social security number and contact info of the principal officer of a business registered under the EIN.

Include your EIN in the letter.

Print the letter on paper featuring the company letterhead of the business the EIN is registered for.

Mail the letter with an appropriate postage stamp to an IRS office. If your EIN is for a business registered in the states of Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or Wisconsin mail the letter to:

Internal Revenue Service Stop 343G Cincinnati, OH 45999

If your EIN is for a business registered in the states of Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or any place outside of the United States send the letter to:

Internal Revenue Service M/S 6273 Ogden, UT 84201


For some changes to your business, you will need to register for a new EIN instead of just changing the information the IRS has on file. If your EIN is attached to a sole proprietorship, you will need to apply for a new EIN if the company is subject to a bankruptcy proceeding, incorporates, takes in partners or if you purchase or inherit an existing business that you shall operate as a sole proprietorship. For a corporation, you will need a new EIN if the corporation receives a new charter from the state government, if the company become a subsidiary of another corporation, if the company changes to a partnership or a sole proprietorship or if a new corporation is created after a statutory merger. For a partnership, you will need a new EIN if the partnership incorporates, is taken over by one of the partners and is switched to a sole proprietorship or if the partnership dissolves and a new one begins.