How to Start a Business in San Antonio

texas proud image by buckwheat from

San Antonio, the second-largest city in Texas, is a business hub and one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, according to CNN Money. Starting a business in San Antonio requires following state and federal protocol to gain eligibility to sell a service or product in the state.

Draft a mission statement and business plan for your idea (See Resource 1). Outline the definition of your business, financial planning data, and a marketing plan in the document, according to the Small Business Administration.

File a business structure with the secretary of state. The most common type is the sole proprietorship, but other business entities -- such as general partnership, corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or association -- exist and offer different tax perks, structure and financial distribution.

Complete the necessary documents for the selected business structure. Fill out the Assumed Name Certificate for Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships; Form 201 for in-state Corporations; Form 202 for in-state Nonprofits; Form 205 for in-state Limited Liability Companies; and Form 701 for Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships.

Apply for an Employer Identification Number, which can be obtained on the IRS website. All United States businesses are required to have an EIN. Go to the EIN application site, chat securely with an online agent, answer the questions and receive your EIN at the end of the interaction.

Apply for San Antonio business permits and licenses applicable to your type of business. For example, if your construction business builds commercial properties, you must obtain a variety of plans and permits before you can practice in San Antonio.

Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy to practice business within the San Antonio city limits. Prepare your business space for compliance with health and safety regulations. An individual will walk through and inspect your space upon receiving your application for occupancy.

Obtain a sales tax permit from the state if you're planning to sell a taxable product or services. Obtain a Franchise Tax Permit if you're starting an LLC or Corporation.

Hire employees who will serve your business well. Familiarize yourself with state and federal employment laws to avoid costly violations.



About the Author

Mitchell Holt has a bachelor's degree in print journalism from Abilene Christian University and has been freelancing since 2009 with work published in various newspapers and magazines like "BostonNOW" and "The Abilene Reporter-News." Holt also writes sales copy for small businesses. His clients include The Kyle David Group, ITNewton, 18 Vodka, RoboQuote and more.

Photo Credits