As a self-employed individual, you are required to submit a copy of your 1099 form to the Internal Revenue Service each year you file a tax return. Some creditors and lenders require a copy of your 1099 from previous years to prove your financial stability. There are several ways to get a copy of your 1099 tax document when your original form is lost or destroyed.

Contact the IRS to request a free “Transcript” of a previous year's 1099. This can be done by calling 800-908-9946. You must provide your name, social security number, birth date and mailing address to receive a transcript. Transcript requests can also be made by completing and mailing IRS Form 4506-T or by completing the online “Order a Transcript” tool.

Contact former clients or tax preparers. The IRS requires a company or tax preparer to maintain tax records for up to four years before discarding. If it has been under four years, there is a great chance the client still has a copy of your 1099.

Request a copy of your lost 1099 through an online third party company, such as FileLate. Most third party companies charge a fee to obtain a copy of your old 1099. However, the company does all of the leg work for you, saving you time spent on the phone with the IRS or former clients.