How to Get a Work Permit in Mississippi

State laws generally govern what procedure, if any, an employer or teen worker must follow in order to legally work if under the age of 18. In Mississippi, employment certificates are necessary only for workers under 16 years old. Additionally, the certificate is required for certain jobs only. The superintendent of the school district issues employment certificates.

Accept an offer to work a job requiring an employment certificate. As of 2011, Mississippi labor laws require work permits for minors under age 16 to work in mills, canneries, workshops and factories.

Obtain a blank employment certificate form. Forms are available from the superintendent in your child’s school district. Applicants can also contact the Mississippi Department of Employment Security by visiting its website or calling 601-321-6000.


Complete the employment certificate. The form must state the child’s place, date of birth and last school attendance. Additionally, it must state the name of the school, the name of the child’s teacher and the child’s grade or study pursued. The form must be signed by a parent or guardian and the superintendent of the school.


Return the form to the employer. Under Mississippi law, employers must keep records of the employment certificate/affidavit.



About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.