How to Find a Doctor's Federal Tax ID Number

by Stephanie Ellen; Updated September 26, 2017

A Federal Tax ID Number, otherwise known as a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) is a nine-digit number that a doctor uses to file business taxes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you have done business with a doctor, including working for the doctor as an employee, you need the doctor’s EIN in order to properly file your own taxes. There are several ways to obtain the doctor’s EIN.

Step 1

Call the doctor’s office and ask for the doctor’s EIN. The receptionist may not know, so ask to speak to the person responsible for payroll or accounting. They should be able to provide you with the EIN.

Step 2

Look on the doctor’s website or check on an invoice if you have one. Private companies (including doctors) often place their EIN in these locations. If you have a W2 or other tax form from the doctor, the EIN should be on there, too.

Step 3

Sign up to find an EIN on a for-fee service like Wastlaw, FEIN Search, or KnowX. These companies keep databases of private company EINs.


  • Before you subscribe to a for-fee service, try your local public library to see if they subscribe to any databases that might list EINs, such as Lexis Nexis.

About the Author

Stephanie Ellen teaches mathematics and statistics at the university and college level. She coauthored a statistics textbook published by Houghton-Mifflin. She has been writing professionally since 2008. Ellen holds a Bachelor of Science in health science from State University New York, a master's degree in math education from Jacksonville University and a Master of Arts in creative writing from National University.

Photo Credits

  • doctor visiting image by TEMISTOCLE LUCARELLI from