How to File a Labor Complaint in Florida

Federal and state laws protect you from unsafe workplaces and illegal employment practices. If you live in Florida and want to file a labor complaint, you may file with a state office, or a federal office within the state, depending on the type of complaint you wish to make. Different departments have jurisdiction over different types of complaints. A labor attorney, or someone from the United States Department of Labor or your county's justice department, can help you determine the proper authority to hear your complaint.

Assemble all your evidence, including pay stubs, emails and photographs, as well as your written description of any incidents about which you're complaining. You'll need to supply your name, address and phone number, as well as contact information for your employer, and the dates and times of any incidents related to the complaint.

Determine the proper office with which to file your complaint. If you have a dispute over wages or hours and want to file a complaint against your employer, the United States Department of Labor has several Wage and Hour Division offices in Florida. These offices handle complaints about minimum wage and overtime payments. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration oversees complaints about job safety. File a complaint with one of OSHA's Region IV offices in either Tampa, Fort Lauderdale or Jacksonville. If you feel you're the victim of discrimination, you have a choice of filing your complaint with the U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission or with the Florida Commission on Human Rights.

Contact the appropriate office and schedule an appointment to meet with a caseworker. You may be able to file your complaint over the phone or online.

Present your complaint and all personal evidence to a caseworker at the appropriate office. The office will investigate your complaint and report back to you.