Commercial all-risk insurance is a type of property insurance policy form that will provide for loss or damage arising out of all perils except those which are specifically excluded.
Named Peril Form
Basic property insurance policy forms specify coverage only for losses caused by named perils. Any loss not caused by the specified perils is excluded from coverage.
All Risk Form
An all-risk policy form functions differently than a named peril form in that it covers loss arising from all but excluded perils. The coverage provided is much broader and all-risk forms are often more desirable to businesses.
Regardless of policy form, certain losses such as those intentionally caused by the insured are always excluded from property policies.
Extensions of Coverage
Named peril policies can be endorsed with additional covered perils to broaden the coverage provided. This is known as an extended coverage endorsement, which still falls short of an all-risk policy form.
In addition to damage or destruction of property, the all-risk policy may cover loss of income arising out of the damage claim.
- International Risk Management Institute: All Risks Coverage
- NAIC. "2009 Dwelling Fire, Homeowners Owner-Occupied, and Homeowners Tenant and Condominium/Cooperative Unit Owner’s Insurance." Page 3. Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
- Insurance Services Office, Inc "Homeowners 5 - Comprehensive Form HO 00 05 10 00." Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
- Insurance Services Office Inc. "Homeowners 3 Special Form." Page 8. Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
- Insurance Services Office Inc. "Homeowners 3 Special Form." Page 10. Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
- Insurance Services Office Inc. "Homeowners 3 Special Form." Page 11-12. Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
- Insurance Information Institute. "Facts + Statistics: Homeowners and Renters Insurance." Accessed Jan. 30, 2020
Living in Southern California, Tom Zuo is a risk-management professional with decades of experience. He has been writing since 1985, specializing in topics related to insurance and risk management. Zuo holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and mass communication.